Ramblings of a tired mom

Living on Guam has it's challenges. Add in 5 children, homeschooling and your own business and you'll find me rambling nonsense interspersed with some wisdom. Enjoy!

Saturday, August 21, 2004

Storm brewing

Woke up this morning to beautiful sunny blue skies. You wouldn't know that our island is being threatened by a storm. We've been watching the Joint Typhoon warning website and tracking tropical storm Chaba as it heads in our general direction. Thankfully the satelite images shows that it will pass to the north of Saipan. We really don't need a storm to hit our island again.

Since living on Guam (9 years now) we've weathered several storms - three of super typhoon strength. It always puts a damper on our lifestyle (literally - lots of rain!) , teaching us how to live with no power or water or even gas! Tempers flare when you have no air con or way to cool off. And devestation has a way of making it hard to pay the bills.

Besides physical storms I feel like I'm weathering emotional storms. We took a step of faith this past month and turned our part-time business of teaching drivers ed to a full time business. I no longer work as a librarian at a Christian school - my dream job. My DH no longer teaches bible and science at that same school - so a steady paycheck is no more. We now rely on what business we can bring into our driving school. DH has got himself a part time job performing weddings for Japanses tourists. He enjoys that and the pay is good. But there is a certain amount of stress involved as he has to schedule his time and I'm always being commissioned to keep him stocked in freshly laundered and ironed dress shirts.

And then there is homeschooling. With three children who I am supposed to be teaching - kindergartener, 5th grader and 10th grader - and a toddler to care for, I feel overwhelmed at times. Today I finally made plans to bring my daughter, the 5th grader to work with me at least three days a week to make sure she does some schoolwork. I need to make arrangements for the rest of the kids so that I don't burden my 15yr old son with them on a daily basis.

Daily I need to turn to the Lord for strength and wisdom. I tend to forget and try to do things on my own. Sleepless nights makes my mind fogged and hard for me to focus. I prayed last night when once again finding myself awake at 3am. Prayer for wisdom. Prayer for health. Prayer for the needs of many. My prayers are like my ramblings here - disjointed and unfocused. But my Lord understands (I hope!).

The storm outside is turning away. Hopefully clear skies will abound in the physical world as well as my own life.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home